Jardim Botânico de Lisboa
UNESCO World Heritage Designation :
Type of Historical Garden:
Rua da Escola Politécnica 56/58,
+351 213 921 808
Lisbon Metropolitan Area
Google Maps Coordinates:
Access from the provincial capital :
Lisbon trams (24E) and BUS (758)
Access from the nearest place to the site :
Subway: (Rato Station)
Lisbon trams and BUS
October to March – 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
April to September – 9am to 8pm
Visitors’ Reception Centre
Activities for the general public
Parking for private vehicles
Parking for buses
Access for people with disabilities or reduced
Nearest parking for buses:
Nearest parking for private vehicles:
Days open to the public:
Open all days
Types of visits:
Guided and free visits
Duration of visits:
Maximum number of visitors in a group:
Maximum number of visitors per day:
Adult: 3,00 €
Loans (a): 1,50 €
Famílias (b): 7,50 €
Free (c): –
Museum + Garden
Adult: 6,00 €
Loans (a): 3,50 €
Famílias (b): 15,00 €
Anual pass: 20,00 €
Free (c): –
(a) – under 18 years old, more than 65 years old, students, and ULisboa
(b) 2 adults + 2 children
(c) Children under 10 years old
At the entrance of the museum
Prior purchase of tickets:
Activities for the public:
Yes, guided walking tours and a range of special exhibitions and art displays
Nearest cultural destinations:
-Museu de São Roque http://www.museu-saoroque.com/pt/home.aspx
Nearest natural destinations:
– Museu Nacional de Arte Contemporânea do Chiado – http://www.museuartecontemporanea.gov.pt/
Instituto da Conservação da Natureza e das Florestas – http://www2.icnf.pt/portal/ap/p-nat/pnsc
Parques de Sintra – https://www.parquesdesintra.pt/
Reserva Natural do Estuário do Tejo – http://www2.icnf.pt/portal/turnatur/visit-ap/rn/rnet
Parque Florestal de Monsanto – http://www.cm-lisboa.pt/viver/ambiente/parque-florestal-de-monsanto
Casa Oliver Principe Real – http://guesthousecasaoliver.com/pt/casa-oliver
Hotel Ibis Lisboa Liberdade – https://www.accorhotels.com/pt/hotel-3137-ibis-lisboa-liberdade/index.shtml#origin=ibis
Casa de São Mamede – http://www.casadesaomamede.pt/
Crafts, gastronomy, gift shops etc., at the site or in the area:
For more information see:
Image credits: César Garcia
Natural environment of the garden
Situated in the central area and one of the seven Hills of the city –São Roque –, the Lisbon Botanical Garden is framed by several palaces and a very diversified set of classified properties. It occupies five hectares of the “interior” of the block located between the Avenue of Liberty (“Avendia da Liberdade”) and the Jardim do Principe Real. Inaugurated in 1878, the Botanical Garden of Lisbon is integrated into the Museu Nacional de História Natural e da Ciência. This Garden with a richness of botanical species (about 1300) distributed by a diversity of corners and slopes, it is a reference in urban biodiversity. It can be considered an oasis of silence and pure atmosphere in the heart of the city of Lisbon.
Historical background of the garden
The Botanical Garden of Lisbon is a scientific garden created in the mid-nineteenth century to complement modern teaching and botany research at the Polytechnic School. The place chosen on Mount Olivete had already more than two centuries of tradition in the study of Botany, begun with the Jesuit College of Cotovia, here established between 1609 and 1759. For the installation of the garden at this site, a draft regulation was drawn up in 1843. However, it is only in 1873, through the initiative of the Count of Ficalho (1837-1903) and Andrade Corvo (1824-1890), teachers at the Polytechnic School, that the planting begins. The enormous diversity of plants was first collected by the German Edmund Goeze (1838 – 1929) and the French Jules Daveau (1852 – 1929), from all over the world in which there were territories under Portuguese sovereignty, Edmund Goeze, the first chief gardener, outlined the “Class” and Jules Daveau was in charge of the “Arboretum.”
The project for the garden was well-adjusted to the site and the mild climate of Lisbon. Barely finished, according to the design of sidewalks, flowerbeds, and terraces, interlinked by lakes and waterfalls, the young plants quickly thrived, occupying all the space and soon knew how, over time, the city would gain its most. pleasant green space of the most scenic and botanical interest. In 1878 the first catalog of seeds was published
The greatest intervention in the garden occurred in the late 1930s and early 1940s. Under Director Ruy Telles Palhinha (1871 – 1957) the primitive systematic ordering of the upper terrace of the Garden was replaced by the grouping of the species in ecological groups.
The Garden, in close collaboration with the other departments of the Museum, offers an active environmental education programs for different age levels and guided thematic visits.
From 2016 to 2018 the garden has received fund from Lisbon Municipality for the restoration of the pavements and other infrastructures.
The Botanical Garden must, more than ever and in the future, be seen as a space of urban cohesion, fundamental and complementary to the built space and its articulation with the surroundings, in ecological, aesthetic, cultural, historical, social and economic terms. .
The National Museum of Natural History and Science of the University of Lisbon is responsible for the garden’s management. In 2010 the Lisbon Botanical Garden was listed as a national monument by the Ministry of Culture.
Description of the Garden
The Lisbon Botanical Garden with an area of four ha is structured in two distinct zones: Class and Arboretum. One enters the garden through an enormous gate that gives access to an avenue lined by palm trees having the building of the National Museum of Natural History to the left and, from here, accesses to the Class and the Arboretum. The Class develops at the level of the museum building, parallel to its N. facade on a terrace supported by walls and composed of several flowerbeds lined with boxwood organized from the central lake and according to two perpendicular paths. The connection between the Class and the Arboretum is made by a double oval shape set of steps. The Arboretum, larger than the Class, extends along the slope, into an organic composition of flowerbeds, streams, waterfalls, lakes and paths and is surrounded by a path leading to another garden gate.
The collection of plants is very diverse. There are more than 1270 taxa, including subspecies and varieties, belonging to about 208 families. The dominant families in the collection are respectively the Asteraceae (94 taxa), Leguminosae (48), Labiatae (40), Euphorbiaceae (38), Solanaceae (38), Liliaceae (37) e Rosaceae (35). Dominate rate of Mediterranean region, South Africa, North America, Australia, South America, New Zealand, China, Japan, Macaronesian region, among other geographical areas.
Some collections deserve a special mention. The outstanding diversity of palms, brought from all continents, confers an unexpectedly tropical atmosphere to several locations in the garden. Cycads, real living fossils representing ancient and mostly extinct floras, are one of the garden’s hallmarks. Species that stand out In the garden for its conservation status worldwide are: Pinus torreyana – Conservation Status – CR, Metasequoia glyptostroboides – Conservation Status -EN, Chrysophyllum imperiale – Conservation Status -EN, Encephalartos horridus – Conservation Status -EN and Appendices I CITES, Brahea edulis – Conservation Status -EN, Zamia furfuracea – Conservation Status -EN and Appendices II CITES, Dioon spinulosum Conservation Status -EN and Appendices II CITES, Afrocarpus mannii – Conservation Status -VU, Dracaena draco – Conservation Status -VU, Ceratozamia mexicana – Conservation Status -VU and Appendices II CITES, Torreya californica – Conservation Status -VU, among other species with conservation interest.
1603 – Construction of the Novitiate House of Our Lady of the Asunción of the Cotovia of the Company of Jesus.
1759 – Expulsion of the Jesuits and delivery of the building to the College of Nobles (Colégio dos Nobres”) dedicated to the initial formation of young Portuguese aristocrats.
1837 – Extinction of the College of Nobles (“Colégio dos Nobres”) and delivery of the facilities to Polytechnic School (“Escora Politécnica”).
1837 – Creation of the Polytechnic School including a set of annexed establishments such as a chemical laboratory, an astronomical observatory, a physics office, a Natural history office and a botanical garden.
1840 – José Maria Grande, Lens of 9th Chair, strives to create a new Botanical Garden in the school grounds.
1843 – Fire of the Polytechnic school that destroys much of the main building.
1847 – 1879 – Reconstruction works and the existing neoclassic building rises.
1873 – 1876 – construction works of the Botanical garden. The significant role of the botanist Francisco Manuel de Melo Breyner, Count of Ficalho, supported by the German head-gardener Edmund Goeze.
1876 – 1883/1884 – Construction works for the arboretum under the responsibility of the French gardener Jules Daveau
1911 – Installation of the School of Scineces of Lisbon Univeristy
2010 – Lisbon Botanical Garden listed as National Monument by the Ministry of Culture
2016 – 2018 – Restorations Works of the historical garden
Brief description of the Interpretation Centre/Museum
The MUHNAC / Museu Nacional de História Natural e da Ciência of the University of Lisbon integrates the Lisbon Botanical Garden. It aims to promote curiosity and public understanding of nature and science, bringing the University closer to Society. This mission is achieved through the valorization of its collections and the university heritage, research, organization of exhibitions, conferences and other scientific, educational, cultural and leisure activities. Supports research and teaching in the fields of zoology and anthropology, botany, mineralogy and geology, and other natural sciences and encourages the study and dissemination of the history of science and technology, contributing to the scientific and cultural education of students in these fields. The museum also assumes a responsibility extended to the national context, regarding the conservation and study of biological and geological collections and historical and scientific cultural heritage.