Jardim Botânico Tropical de Lisboa


Portugal

UNESCO World Heritage Designation : No
Type of Historical Garden: Botanical garden
Address:

Jardim Botânico Tropical, Largo de Belém Lisboa
1400-209 Lisboa, Portugal

Phone:

+351 213 921 808


Web: museus.ulisboa.pt/pt-pt/jardim-botanico-tropical
E-mail: geral@museus.ulisboa.pt
Region: Lisbon Metropolitan Area
Municipality : Lisbon
Town : Lisbon
Place : Lisbon
Google Maps Coordinates:

https://goo.gl/maps/4aobqGFfYUt
38.698888 -9.202153


Access from the provincial capital :

Lisbon trams (15; 18) and BUS (714, 727, 728, 729)
Train: Cais do Sodré-Cascais Line (Belém Station)


Access from the nearest place to the site :

Lisbon trams and BUS


Opening times
Opening times:

October to March: 9h to 17h
April to September: 9h to 20h

Services

Visitors’ Reception Centre

Interpretation Centre

Associated museum

Guided visits

Audioguides

Educational workshops

Activities for the general public

Parking for private vehicles

Parking for buses

Access for people with disabilities or reduced

Café

Restaurant

Souvenir shop

Toilets

     Others:

Info

Nearest parking for buses:

https://goo.gl/maps/8LzhvohWhDJ2


Nearest parking for private vehicles:

https://goo.gl/maps/dQdfWEUCuvM2


Days open to the public: Open all days
Age restrictions:

No


Types of visits:

Guided and free visits


Duration of visits:
Maximum number of visitors in a group:

25


Maximum number of visitors per day:
Admission fees:

Adult – 2 €
12 to 18 years old and more tan 65 years old – 1 €
Anual ticket – 20 €


Reservations:

By phone or email for guided visits


Prior purchase of tickets:

No


Educational workshops:

Yes
http://www.museus.ulisboa.pt/pt-pt/atividades


Activities for the public:

Yes
http://www.museus.ulisboa.pt/pt-pt/atividades


Nearest cultural destinations:
Nearest natural destinations:
  • Parque Florestal de Monsanto

http://www.cmlisboa.pt/viver/ambiente/parque-florestal-de-monsanto

  • Reserva Natural do Estuário do Tejo

http://www2.icnf.pt/portal/turnatur/visit-ap/rn/rnet/inf-ger

  • Parque Natural de Sintra-Cascais

http://www2.icnf.pt/portal/ap/p-nat/pnsc/class-carac


Nearby accommodation:

https://www.visitlisboa.com/pt-pt


Nearby restaurants:

https://www.visitlisboa.com/pt-pt

 


Crafts, gastronomy, gift shops etc., at the site or in the area:

https://www.visitlisboa.com/pt-pt



Comments:

http://www.bgci.org/garden.php?id=149

Image credits: All images of César Garcia except “DSC_0303” and “Bauhinia variegata DSC_0015” that are of Maria Cristina Duarte.




Natural environment of the garden

Situated, from 1914, in the monumental area of Lisbon, next to the Mosteiro dos Jerónimos, the garden occupies seven hectares near the Palácio de Belém. It shares a centrality that includes other important cultural spaces of the capital, such as the Praça do Império, the Museu Nacional Coches, the Belém Cultural Center, the Museu da Marinha, the Museu Nacional de Arqueologia, the Calouste Gulbenkian Planetarium , the Church of Memory, the Jardim Botânico da Ajuda and Palácio da Ajuda. It extends on a hillside, facing south, along 800 meters overlooking the Tagus river. Rich in water and favored by a privileged microclimate in the city, it has been enriched with a great diversity of native and important exotic plant species especially from tropical and subtropical regions.
The Tropical Botanical Garden is a special place where visitors can enjoy sounds and smells of nature and observe very interesting native and important exotic plant species, however, without ceasing to be a scientific tool, a reference for plant identification, plant exploration and committed to sharing, developing, and maintaining the plant collections, with many species with high conservation status at a global level.

 

Historical background of the garden

The Tropical Botanical Garden was created in 1906, during the time of King Carlos I (1893-1908), with the goal of teaching Tropical Agronomy as a complement to the Agronomy and Veterinary Institute. At that time, it was called “The Colonial Garden”. In 1907, it was installed in the greenhouses at “Quinta das Laranjeiras”. where the Zoological Garden is currently located.
In 1914 the garden was moved to the actual place – Palácio dos Condes da Calheta – spreading over a gentle hill near the Belém Palace and Jerónimos Monastery.
The garden provides examples of the richness and biodiversity of the tropical and sub-tropical regions from a variety of different places on Earth though one finds here a few species from temperate latitudes. The JBT is home to a collection of approximately 600 species belonging to more than 100 botanic families.
The didactic goals and the connection to the teaching of tropical agronomy, which lay the foundation of its creation, are reflected in the collections of plants, which hosts a large number of species of economic interest. Many of the plants bring to memory the Portuguese navigators that, during the age of discoveries, uncovered the natural treasures of faraway lands and spread them throughout the world. This garden played a relevant role in 1940, as a stage for the “Exposição do Mundo Português” (Exhibition of the Portuguese World)..
In 2007 the garden was listed as a National Monument by the Ministry of Culture and was given its current name of Tropical Botanical Garden. From 2015 onwards, the management of the garden is under the National Museum of Natural History and Science of the University of Lisbon.
2018 is a very important year for the garden as it has received fund for the restoration of the greenhouses and other infrastructures.
References:
Duarte, C. (2016). Plantas do Jardim Botânico Tropical [Plants of the Tropical Botanic Garden]. Lisbon: Universidade de Lisboa.
Liberato, M. C. (1994). Catálogo de Plantas do Jardim-Museu Agricola Tropical [Catalog of Plants of the Tropical Garden-Museum]. Lisbon: Instituto de Informação Científica e Fundação Berardo.

 

Description of the Garden

The Tropical Botanical Garden, with an area of 7 ha, was conceived as a Colonial Garden with a center of experimentation of cultures and as a space to collect information regarding tropical agriculture being considered an “indispensable support to the teaching activity”.
The plant collection in the garden consists of species mainly from tropical and subtropical regions, with economic and botanic interest like spices, fruit, medicinal, stimulants, ornamental and fibers. Among the most notable specimens in the JBT is the collection of cycads – a group that due to its rarity is under the protection of International Conventions -, several rare palm trees and a century old Yucca gigantea. Palm trees are a preponderant element in the garden, as we can see near at the entrance a main avenue flanked by Washingtonia robusta and Washingtonia filifera. Also remarkable are the following species: Dracaena draco, Cereus uruguaianus, Podocarpus manii, among others.
In the Macau Garden, the ambience of the oriental regions is recreated, with predominance for Asiatic specimens such as the symbolic bamboos. The arch marking the entrance to this garden is a replica of the arch at the entrance to the A-Má temple in Macau and its exit is signaled by the Moon Gate.
Linked to this remarkable natural heritage we have historical buildings such as Palácio dos Condes da Calheta, tile panels, and marble sculptures (such as the “Roman Charity” by the Bernardino Ludovice) that include different aesthetics concepts which span several historical periods, from the XVII century to the XX century.
Several constructions such as “Casa da Direção”, whose courtyard is entirely covered by tile panels representing tropical themes, where built in 1940 for the occasion of the “Exposição do Mundo Português”. There are also many busts distributed throughout the garden related to the same event. There is also the Main Green House, built in 1914, with an admirable structure of cast iron and glass and an important plant collection.
At the top of the garden is the Condes da Calheta Palace with its sober construction from the XVII century with superb tile panels. From here beautiful views over the Tagus river can be enjoyed. In front of the palace is the formal garden “Jardim de Buxo”. The palace is the place for research activity for tropical plants, biodiversity and ecosystems.
Being a space open to the public this Garden should also be understood as a privileged place for the promotion of interdisciplinary research activity developed at the University of Lisbon, which encompasses themes both from Natural and Human Sciences. The garden holds an important role in allowing the public to make acquaintance with the tropical sciences, contributing to the promotion of scientific culture in the Portuguese society and in the Community of Portuguese Speaking Countries.

Examples of Plants, Annex I CITES

Aloe barberae Dyer
Aloe ciliaris Haw.
Aloe maculata All.
Aloe marlothii A. Berger
Cereus uruguayanus R. Kiesling
Dioon edule Lindl.
Encephalartos altensteinii Lehm.
Encephalartos horridus (Jacq.) Lehm.
Encephalartos lebomboensis Verd.
Encephalartos paucidentatus Stapf & Burtt Davy
Euphorbia canariensis L.
Euphorbia ingens E. Mey. ex Boiss.
Hylocereus undatus (Haw.) Britton & Rose
Opuntia engelmannii subsp. lindheimeri (Engelm.) U. Guzmßn & Mandujano
Opuntia littoralis (Engelm.) Cockerell
Opuntia monacantha Haw.
Podocarpus neriifolius D. Don

Examples of Plants, Annex II CITES

Aloe arborescens Mill.
Aloe barberae Dyer
Aloe maculata All.
Aloe marlothii A. Berger
Cereus uruguayanus R. Kiesling var. monstruosus
Cycas revoluta Thunb.
Dioon edule Lindl.
Euphorbia canariensis L.
Hylocereus undatus (Haw.) Britton & Rose
Opuntia engelmannii subsp. lindheimeri (Engelm.) U. Guzmßn & Mandujano
Opuntia littoralis (Engelm.) Cockerell
Opuntia monacantha Haw.
Opuntia paraguayensis K. Schum.
Podocarpus neriifolius D. Don

 

Chronology

1906 – Creation of the “Jardim Colonial” (Colonial Garden) in Lisbon for colonial agricultural Education at the Institute of Agronomy and Veterinary.

1907 – Installation of the Colonial Garden in “Quinta das Laranjeiras”.

1910 – Creation of the “Instituto Superior de Agronomia” and delivered for the education of Agriculture and forestry the “Tapada da Ajuda” and the “Jardim Botânico da Ajuda”.

1912 – It was decided that the Colonial Garden was installed in the park of the “Palácio de Belém”.

1914 – The Colonial Garden moved nearest to the park of the Palácio de Belém and the garden of the Palácio dos Condes da Calheta.

1940 – The garden received the exhibition of the “Exposição do Mundo Português”.

1944 – The Colonial Garden and the Colonial Agricultural Museum became a single organism.

1951 – The name changes to “Jardim e Museu Agrícola do Ultramar (JMAU)”.

1983 – The name changes to Jardim – “Museu Agrícola Tropical (JMAT” and is placed under the leadership of “Instituto de Investigação Científica Tropical (IICT)”.

2007 – The garden was listed as a national monument by the Ministry of Culture, and in that same year received the current denomination of “Jardim Botânico Tropical” (Tropical Botanical Garden), under the tutelage of the Institute of Tropical Scientific Research (IICT).

2015 – The management of the garden is handed to the National Museum of Natural History and Science – University of Lisbon.

 

Brief description of the Interpretation Centre/Museum

The MUHNAC / Museums of the University of Lisbon aims to promote curiosity and public understanding of nature and science, bringing the University closer to Society. This mission is achieved through the valorization of its collections and the university heritage, research, exhibitions, conferences and other scientific, educational, cultural and leisure activities.

The Museums are a Specialized Unit of the University of Lisbon, constituted by MUHNAC – National Museum of Natural History and Science Rua da Escola Politécnica, integrating the Lisbon Botanical Garden and the Astronomical Observatory of Lisbon, in Tapada da Ajuda.

The Museum supports research and teaching in the fields of zoology and anthropology, botany, mineralogy and geology and encourages the study and dissemination of the history of science and technology, contributing to the scientific and cultural education of students in these fields.

The museum also assumes a responsibility extended to the national context, regarding the conservation and study of biological and geological collections and historical and scientific cultural heritage, establishing partnerships for the valorization and use of museum collections and the heritage of Lisbon University and other institutions.
http://www.museus.ulisboa.pt/en

 


More gardens of the REJHIS

Loading…
  • Santa Clotilde Gardens

    Spain

  • Park of Monserrate

    Portugal

  • Gardens of Aranjuez

    Spain

  • Lisbon Tropical Botanical Garden

    Portugal

  • Museum of King Jan III’s Palace at Wilanów

    Poland

  • Park of Pena

    Portugal